Welcome back, Falcons! The library will provide services and resources online during the first week of classes. Our doors will open to the Bentley community on Tuesday, September 8. Below are important things to know about the library’s operations this fall trimester. For more detailed information, FAQs, and to check for updates, visit the Back to the Bentley Library guide.
Key Opening Dates
For detailed hours information, including virtual Reference Desk hours, view the library hours calendar.
|Monday, August 31 – |
Friday, September 4
|Online services and resources only|
|Saturday, September 5 – |
Monday, September 7
|Labor Day holiday: All online help services closed|
|Tuesday, September 8||Library building opens|
Visiting the Bentley Library (starting Tuesday, September 8)
- The library is operating in accordance with state and university COVID-19 public health guidelines. All library users and staff are required to wear face coverings, maintain 6 feet physical distance, and practice hand hygiene. Please perform your daily health self-check and stay home if you have any symptoms of COVID-19.
- The library is instituting card swipe access this trimester. All Bentley students, faculty and staff will need to swipe a current Bentley ID at the main entrance to enter the building.
- Building occupancy will be limited and monitored. Due to the occupancy limits, we ask that you please be courteous to others and mindful of your time in the library. Do not leave any personal belongings in the building, as you may not be able to re-enter to get them if we are at capacity.
- Disinfecting wipes and hand sanitizer are available throughout the library. Please wipe down any shared surfaces before and after you use them.
- Food is prohibited in the library until further notice.
Study Rooms and Spaces
- The library’s study rooms are subject to reduced capacity and physical distancing guidelines. Many study rooms are limited to single occupancy; some of the larger rooms accommodate two people. Please check the occupancy sign posted on each room. Study rooms are available on a first come, first served basis. Reservations are not available.
- Furniture has been removed and rearranged to ensure proper physical distancing. In areas where furniture has not been reconfigured (e.g. study rooms), signage will clearly indicate the allowable occupancy.
- Face coverings are required in all library spaces at all times, including in study rooms, study carrels and pods, and at study tables.
Borrowing Library Materials and Using Course Reserves
- The library’s stacks are open and you may browse without restrictions while maintaining proper physical distance.
- To minimize face-to-face interactions, we request that you use the library’s self-check machine to check out your items.
- Please return your library items in the book return drop, located at the main entrance.
- Returned items will be quarantined for a period of 3 days before being re-shelved or checked out to anyone else. The exception to this policy is Course Reserves, which circulate in-house for short periods of time. In order to ensure that all students have timely access to Reserves materials, they will not be quarantined. We remind you to wash your hands before and after using all library materials.
Online Resources and Research Help
Whether you are near or far, the library website—library.bentley.edu—is your portal to accessing online library services and resources.
- Your Bentley email address and password grant you remote access to most library databases and electronic resources.
- Research assistance will be provided online throughout the trimester. Reference Librarians are available to help via live chat, email (firstname.lastname@example.org), and text (781.728.0511). You can also book an appointment for a research consultation via Zoom. Virtual Reference Desk hours and contact information are posted on the Research Help page.
- Librarians have created research guides for popular topics and specific classes such as GB112 and GB214. The guides are a great help in getting started when doing research for projects and papers.
- The library provides free subscriptions to The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, and the Financial Times online. Visit the Current News guide for registration details.
See more details about remote library services and resources at Getting Starting @ the Bentley Library – Online!
Computers & Printers
Computers and printers (color and B&W) are available for you to use if you need one. To install the Bentley print drivers on your laptop, visit the Falcon Printing website. You will also find information about printing funds and costs on that site.
We look forward to seeing you—whether in person or online—this trimester! If you have questions, please reach out to us. We are here to help.