June is Audiobook Month. It is a time to celebrate the spoken tale. Give your weary screen focused eyes a break and sit back and relax while someone reads to you for a change.
We have put together a collection of familiar and/or classic stories for you to enjoy. Included is some “comfort food” such as J. K. Rowling’s Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone and Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice. Plus some with a new twist on an old classic. For example, And the Ocean Was Our Sky by Patrick Ness evokes the images of Moby Dick but from the whales’ point of view. In addition, Eligible: A modern retelling of Pride and Prejudice by Curtis Sittenfeld and Longbourn by Jo Baker told from the staffs’ perspective, both extend enjoyment of the original tale.
So much content so little time. In addition to listening in the car, here are some suggested activities that pair nicely with an audiobook.
- Take a walk (Watching out for traffic of course!)
- Sitting in the sun (Don’t forget your hat and sunscreen, safety first!)
- Folding laundry or other important household tasks.
- Gardening (Not recommended when using power tools!)
- Tuning out other members of the household and finding a happy place. (Oh, did I think that aloud?)
Where do you enjoy the audio versions? Is there a particular author, narrator, title that you really enjoy? Please share by posting a comment below or shooting us a message through social media. We love to hear from you.
New to OverDrive? Check out our Getting Started page or contact a librarian for help.