Introducing Nielsen Segmentation & Market Solutions (SMS)
The Nielsen Segmentation & Market Solutions (SMS) database is now available to Bentley users via the SRDS database platform. Nielsen SMS has replaced the Local Market Audience Analyst (LMAA) database, previously available via SRDS.
Most of the the information that was available in LMAA continues to be available in Nielsen Segmentation & Market Solutions, but Nielsen SMS provides more data, more robust reports, and a more dynamic and improved search interface. This new database is also compatible with all web browsers (say goodbye to the “Internet Explorer only” restriction).
Nielsen SMS includes access to PRIZM Premier, which is an enhancement over LMAA’s use of PRIZM data. Another notable difference is that Nielsen Consumer Profiles have replaced the Simmons consumer profiles used in LMAA. More information about these features is provided below.
Please note that Nielsen SMS is currently only available to on-campus users, but we are working on a solution to provide off-campus access. Check back here for updates, or contact the Reference Desk for assistance.
What’s Inside Nielsen SMS?
The SMS Reports at a Glance document (below) maps the old LMAA content to the new Nielsen SMS database. For example, the data formerly included in a LMAA Demographic Concentration Report can now be found in the Nielsen SMS Consumer Concentration Segmentation Report.
Nielsen Pop-Facts Demographics Reports
Pop-Facts Demographic Reports provide comprehensive demographic information for your selected analysis area. Geographic analysis is available for states, counties and DMAs (Designated Market Areas). Demographic information is from the most current U.S. Census, estimated current year and projected five-year counts.
Nielsen Segmentation Reports
Segmentation reports help you determine who your best customers are, where they live, what they are like and how to connect with them.
- Consumer Concentration Report: Shows details about demographics, consumer demand and customer data for any selected analysis area.
- Market Potential Report: Compares current consumption pattern for one or more product profiles in an analysis area; calculates a Market Potential Index to help determine the potential for introducing new products and services
- Profile Ranking Index Report: Compares one or more profiles with a selected collection of other profiles (product usage, media preference or demographic traits).
- Profile Worksheet: Shows usage information, by PRIZM segment, for products and services (product profiles).
- Segment Distribution Report: Shows the geographic distribution of each of the 68 PRIZM segments.
- Target Concentration Report: Shows how many target users are located in an analysis area.
- Target Segment Measures Report: Displays detailed profile data on demographics, media preferences and lifestyle characteristics for a selected target and/or its segments.
PRIZM Premier, Nielsen’s consumer segmentation system, defines every U.S. household in terms of 68 demographically and behaviorally distinct segments to help marketers discern those consumers’ likes, dislikes, lifestyles and purchase behaviors. PRIZM Premier’s 68 segments are numbered according to socioeconomic rank (which takes into account characteristics such as income, education, occupation and home value) and are grouped into 11 Lifestage Groups and 14 Social Groups.
- PRIZM Premier Social Groups are based on urbanization and socioeconomic rank.
- PRIZM Premier Lifestage Groups are based on age, socioeconomic rank, and the presence of children at home.
Nielsen Consumer Profiles
Nielsen’s Consumer Profiles uses data from Nielsen’s Scarborough USA+ consumer survey database. This annual survey of 200,000 U.S. adults provides information about consumer lifestyles, product usage, media exposure and psychographic dimensions. Consumer categories include: Alcohol, Automotive, Commuting & Transportation, Digital Video Displays, Environment, Financial, Food & Beverage, Health, Items in the Home, Newspapers, Radio, Restaurants, Retail, Shopping, Sports & Liesure, Telecommunications, Television, Travel, and Voting.
How to Access Nielsen Segmentation & Market Solutions
To access the Nielsen Segmentation & Market Solutions database:
- Select Nielsen Segmentation & Market Solutions via SRDS from the library’s Databases page.
- On the SRDS landing page, click the link to Nielsen Segmentation & Market Solutions on the left side of the screen, under [Other SRDS Services].
- Click the green button labeled [Login to Nielsen SMS].
- After logging in to Nielsen SMS, click on the [Create Content] link to get started.
Important Information About Shared/Stored Reports & Report Deletion: Please note that all reports created within Nielsen SMS can be viewed and accessed by all Bentley users.
- If you name and save a report in Excel or PDF format, it is saved automatically in My Content > Report Inbox. These reports can be viewed, modified and/or deleted by any Bentley user. Please save reports you create to your own computer to ensure continued access. Reports stored in the My Reports section are maintained for 120 days from the date they were last created or viewed. If you do not use a report for 120 days, it is deleted automatically.
- Any report that you generate using the Interactive Report Viewer using the Create Content options will be saved in [Report History]. The system automatically deletes past reports when Report History reaches 200 reports.
Help & More Information
Help documentation is available on the Nielsen SMS log-in page (look at the “introduction to Neilsen SMS” and “How to Use Nielsen” documents). You may also view Nielsen’s 30 minute Online Training Webinar here: https://youtu.be/E75C_HdFaqI
Database of the Month provides a very brief introduction to a database available from the Library’s website, highlighting key features of the database that you should know about. If you would like more information about this database (or any of the library’s databases), please contact us for research assistance. If you would like a demonstration of this database for a class, please schedule a research instruction class using this form.