That Old Cape Magic by Richard Russo

I am a huge fan of Richard Russo and Cape Cod, so I was excited to hear that Russo’s latest novel was entitled That Old Cape Magic. Russo’s novel is a portrait of familial relationships – those between spouses, children, parents, and in-laws. Not too much happens in the novel aside from two memorable weddings that bookend one year in the life of Jack Griffin. The feel of the novel is quite different from Russo’s other books, but it still has his trademark wit throughout. I enjoyed the story but was a little concerned while reading it that there wasn’t much of a point and wondered whether I would say I liked it or be able to recommend it. The ending chapter wraps the story up fantastically however and makes the novel a coherent whole. I even may want to read it again soon!

Check it Out

The library has That Old Cape Magic in both print and audiobook.  We also have several other Richard Russo titles on the shelf.

Read What Others Are Saying

Read reviews of That Old Cape Magic in the The New York Times and The Boston Globe, or listen to NPR’s Morning Edition review/interview.  Richard Russo was also interviewed by the Barnes & Noble Review.

- Review by Donna Bacchiocchi, Manager of Technical Services